Sarah Shines Art

Sarah Shines Art

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Upcycled Projects, My New Studio, Upcoming events-- what have I been up to?






















my Grandma Bloom-
MUM, Dell, Margaret Idella Campbell Bloom

I knew her from afar- she lived in Greenville, SC for most of my life.
Before I left Florida(where I was born) I spent most everyday of my first
four years at her home in Fort Worth. I cherish every photo from those days.



My family of 5 moved to Oregon when I was 4 and we've been here ever since.

My mother was going to name me, her first Daughter
Sunshine Bloom (born in 1974)
but MUM, my dad's mother, who my mother looked to
for guidance was talked out of that and went with Sarah. 
EVERYONE calls me Sunshine- most don't know the story.

Mum wrote to all of us kids in Oregon, at least once a month,
all holidays and would include a craft item she made,
when I got older, I'd share with her what I was making
(before Instagram, Facebook) I had to describe it, or draw a picture. 
She would send me photos of her winning ribbon fair items,
blankets, crocheted items, "upcycled' jewelry,
or stuff she just made from nothing.  I still have all those photos. 
She also typed up and had printed 2 books of poems
and stories about her 7 children.
Each of her children and each grandchild received a copy.

I sooo badly wanted to see her one more time,
and I was blessed to spend 3 months with her
just after I graduated high school. 
I soaked in everything at her humble single wide trailer.
I touched all her collections,
I even got her to show me how to crochet(I'm a lefty)

She has always inspired me. So much of her is in me.
I hear her giggle when I make something crafty.
She was the only grandma that made an effort
to be in my life- and it was from 3000 miles away.

That ironing board- raised her family of 7-
then Our family of 6(we added one more in Oregon)
her hands were on it everyday.
That deep connection has no words to describe
what it feels like. the stories, the history-
who gave it to her? did she buy it? was it handed down?
It may have traveled from Pennsylvania, Connecticut,
Virginia, Florida, South Carolina and and finally, Oregon.
(great info on Chicago made items -
National Washboard Company from Chicago}
It's almost a 100 years old...



I pulled all the layers of fabric off,
gently removed the broken legs( I saved them, I think I can rip them
down to make something funky!).
I predrilled holes for the mounting brackets,
attached the World market adjustable rack(scored great price due to bent part)
screwed everything down, touched up screw heads with black paint,
and attached it to the wall with some molly screws
(quite heavy once mugs are added)
It can hang vertical or horizontal ( the hooks move 360degrees).























I am truly blessed. Some might find it silly- but living a world
away from someone so special.. it truly means a lot to me. 
It now resides in my dining room
over looking her table,
which I was also blessed to receive. -
I want to do
another project with it, 
not sure yet what I'm going to do,
its still percolating! Stay tuned.....

Thank you for stopping by,
reading my story and looking at my
project.








SNEAK Peek!!!!
My next post will be about what I was up
to from June 2016 to present...

Have a great day!

Sarah
Sarah Shines -ART




No comments:

Post a Comment